is a Kent village which is situated 7 miles from the
town of Ashford
and 5 miles from Tenterden.
windmill overlooks the village from the north with extensive
views over the Walland marshes towards the English Channel coast.
It is a fine example of a Kentish smock mill
and was originally one of a pair of windmills standing on this
site, known locally at that time as "The Twins".
almost completely restored to a working condition by local craftsmen
and enthusiasts, the mill is a familliar local landmark which can
be seen for many miles.
The first records
of a windmill in Woodchurch are from 1660, with the earliest
accounts of a windmill on this site dating from 1729. Grinding
continued commercially by the surviving mill until 1926 after
which time both mills fell into disrepair. The "twin" known
Black Mill" was used as an observation post by the military
throughout the first world war and survived until 1940. The
only signs of its existence today are a few pieces of its brick
The remaining "White Mill" has undergone several discrete
periods of extensive renovation since 1946 and through the unceasing
work of the Woodchurch community it once again stands proudly
overseeing the village.
Woodchurch Windmill is one of twelve such Kent
Willesborough (Ashford) being the nearest
is one of three visitor
attractions in Woodchurch. Why not spend
a day here taking in the
Village Life Museum and the South
of England Rare Breeds Centre.